FUDCon (insert name of city here) Barcamp

John Poelstra poelstra at redhat.com
Wed May 26 03:01:51 UTC 2010

Steven M. Parrish said the following on 05/25/2010 04:38 PM Pacific Time:
> During the events FAD in Raleigh it was discussed that the next NA FUDCon
> should be 4 days long, up from the current 3.  1 1/2 to 2 days  for Barcamp
> with the balance to hackfests.
>
> I've been thinking about the barcamps and how much time it takes out of the
> 1st day.  What I am thinking is this.  For the next NA FUDCon we solicit
> proposals in advance.  Proposals can be written in the wiki or the prefered
> method would be a video proposal.  All talks proposed atleast X number of days
> in advance would be voted on by the registered attendees before arriving at
> FUDCon and will comprise the talks scheduled for day 1.
>
> After the FPLs opening remarks we can have people make proposals for day 2
> talks.  We can then put up the normal grid and have people vote on the talks
> throughout the day and announce the following days schedule that evening.
> This will eliminate the hour or so voting and getting everything organized
> that morning.
>
> Also since I believe day 1 would be a Friday I would suggest that the user
> tracks be scheduled for day 2.  That would allow locals who have to work on
> Friday to attend those sessions on Saturday.
>
> Comments?
>
> Steven

My observation is that we loose a good part of the day by starting too
late.  FUDCon RDU in 2007 had breakfast at 8:30 AM which had people on
premise and started at 9:00 which worked well. I know it is early for
some people, but it seems a shame to loose half of a day getting started
when our in-person time is so short.

John