[Fedora-i18n-list] Call for a Fedora I18n meeting

Warren Togami wtogami at redhat.com
Tue Jun 26 16:53:51 UTC 2007

Nicolas Mailhot wrote:
> Le Lun 25 juin 2007 10:09, Jens Petersen a écrit :
>> We are thinking that it would be a good to have a meeting of
>> the Fedora I18n project to discuss various technical issues openly.
>>
>> Some of the things to discuss include:
>>
>> - installation package defaults
>> - input method desktop defaults and configuration (xinput/im-chooser)
>> - renaming of fonts-* to reflect upstream projects
>> - adding a IM package group?
>
> I'd like to attend, but probably only could in the evening (western
> european time). I'd like the following topics discussed:
>
> + extented (multimedia) key Fedora target (wait-and-see, active Fedora
> push, to evdev or not to evdev?)
>
> + font policy/comps i18n group organisation -> some fonts bring
> support for scripts used by existing desktop locales, others for
> scripts associated to langages we don't have localisation for
> (tiffinagh, n'ko, inuktikut, tibetan?), others are purely decorative
> and no one will use them in real life by default, others are for
> historical scripts (dead languages, medieval variants, old greek,
> church scripts...). How all this stuff is supposed to be organised in
> comps? How will it appear in anaconda/yum guis?

These are legitimate issues, but we need to limit the scope of this
meeting if we are going to tackle the highest priority problems before F8.

Perhaps as a first step, we can map out all the problems and create a
big picture overview.  Then we can figure out interdependencies,
prioritize, or escalate issues to other groups.

I suspect the highest priority problems that i18n needs to focus on for
F8 are Input Method related: installation/removal, launch defaults and
configuration.  If others can come up with solutions for the other
problems in parallel that would be great of course.

> + what to do when upstream is dormant or end-user unfriendly? Where
> and how should user feedback be directed? Do we need a Fedora-level
> i18n technical hub? Do we have the resources for it? (hunspell dicts,
> xkb maps, console maps, abandonware fonts, etc)

This is an issue that effects more than just i18n, perhaps FESCo should
discuss and create general policy instead?

Warren Togami
wtogami at redhat.com