Why would anyone like to have a Fedora Mirror ?

Rahul Sundaram sundaram at fedoraproject.org
Wed Apr 30 05:24:47 UTC 2008

Saurabh Jain (सौरभ जैन) wrote:
> Hi Guys
>
> I have been trying to talk to NIXI about hosting Linux mirrors in
> India. Working through the babudom is taking a lot of time, though.

Please keep following up. We are in real need for more mirrors as we are
close to the Fedora 9 release. Some traffic details are at

http://fedoraproject.org/maps

> Meanwhile, I host Fedora mirrors on a few servers I maintain here and
> there. None of these have more than 2Mbps connectivity, which might
> not be great, but is still good by India standards. Would it be useful
> to have these added to the official Fedora Mirror list? We have no
> connection limits or other such jazz. We just prioritise the SMTP and
> IMAP traffic on these servers over the FTP traffic, so no one in
> management complains about the mirror traffic.
>
> Your thoughts please...

I am CC'ing our mirror admin, Matt Domsch  who you can get in touch with
offlist and provide you more details.  Some information at

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Infrastructure/Mirroring

Ignore the bandwidth requirements and follow the other instructions.
Like I said, we have added the Indian mirrors despite not meeting our
bandwidth requirements since it does to help to share the load.