[fedora-india] Hi, trouble in fedora media program

Ankur Sinha sanjay.ankur at gmail.com
Wed Jul 28 22:45:59 UTC 2010

On Thu, 2010-07-29 at 00:08 +0530, Ashwin wrote:
> The only reason for me to post on this thread was to highlight the
> rebuke that Arshad got due to a specific insensitive approach by an
> individual which went unchecked.

I'm not even remotely trying to be excellent to folks on this email.
Please don't reply pointing that out. People evidently do not understand
the meaning of "being excellent to each other" and I do not intend to be
excellent to folks not excellent to me. After this, I will not
contribute another word to this discussion.

I'm going to put this in the nicest way possible:

bias ->  To influence in a particular, typically unfair direction;
prejudice.

IF *all* requests from India could be fulfilled, and one of us, lets say
ME, chose to not fulfil a certain request, it would be bias against that
one ticket. Because the Fedora India community is composed of a lot of
what we refer to as "keyboard warriors" who sit around and talk, and
abase the work that others do, we're currently not able to fulfil all
media requests.

(Question for Frank to answer: following this discussion, how many new
free media contributors from India have you had sign up?).

This doesn't mean that we're biased towards tickets we accept and
against ones we don't. The only way to work without what you've newly
introduced as "bias" is to make sure either all tickets are fulfilled or
none (no middle ground depending on how many we actually can fulfil)?
Either we fulfil all tickets, therefore eliminating "bias", or fulfil
none, again eliminating "bias". Because every ticket that goes
unfulfilled has been biased against?

bias is when one thinks "hey.. I'll accept this ticket and not this
because A sounds good and B sounds crappy". Picking randomly isn't bias.
It's called being random. Tickets that get accepted are *lucky* and ones
that don't are *unlucky*. That's it. End of story. There is nothing to
discuss. If anyone's fault, it is the fault of the keyboard warrior, not
the one accepting a few tickets!

There was no issue with Arshad not receiving media. No contributor at
that time could do it (for whatever reason), so he was directed to the
free media programme. DO NOT ATTACH BIAS TO IT. EVERYONE IS NOT GOING TO
RECEIVE MEDIA ! (yes! I'm screaming my lungs out here!) If you didn't
take the initiative of accepting his request, like I did for Madan, you
got NO RIGHT to question what I did and discuss it: I'm a better man
than you are, like it or not.

Another question for Frank: You accept some tickets, and not others.
That way, you're also being biased. Maybe you're biased over tickets
that are filled in first !? This entire charade on "bias" is crap.

> That is a tunnel vision.
>
> Please walk through the tunnel there is brightness at the end and
> outside the tunnel.
>
> True open source is a *dedication* of many to remove barriers set up
> by
> biased views of a few.

ASHWIN : you got no clue what you're talking about. Stay off the list. I
don't care if you've been around Linux since it's birth, what you
generally say on the list is BS. We like our list crap free (politics
and philosophical issues and the rest) so we can actually get work
done.

What you're saying "If I give a beggar some money at a point of time,
and I don't give another beggar at another point, I'm biased. I
shouldn't have helped that one" Dude. Really???

I use Fedora and not $distro -> I'm biased and therefore this isn't
"true open source"?? "tunnel vision"?? What the hell kind of crap is
that?

There is a HUGE difference between choosing randomly and being biased.
Don't mix up the two.

I loathe, really really loathe this usage of the list. This is FYI one
of the more frequent causes of why a contributor switches communities.
It's called USELESS CRAP. It has the power to piss off one to the extent
that he/she doesn't want to contribute any more. From my mail, it should
be evident that ASHWIN is doing a great job at pushing me to the
threshold. Why I'll stick around is that my mentor(s) (surprise!
surprise! Rahul has been my mentor since he got me started off as a
contributor to Fedora TWO YEARS AGO) will tell me that this stuff isn't
worth getting upset about, and that the work we do is way more
important.

> I hope I was able to articulate the exact problem which Arshad has
> faced, and if left unchecked has the potential to multiply.

You weren't. Why? Because there is no "exact problem". Arshad didn't
face any. You're biased to only stand out for Arshad and not the 100 or
so tickets that do not receive media per month. You have to sign up the
fedora media list so you can discuss and question *individually* why
each of those 100 or so tickets went unfulfilled (while some got
fulfilled, BIAS). Only when you do this, are you free of bias and your
relationship with open source is "pure". As of now, standing up for one
and not all the unlucky folks who do not receive media is "tunnel
vision" and you do not deserve to be even an open source evangelist.
Let's start a thread discussing this more important moral issue. Who
gives a crap about actually contributing?

There, I've made an issue out of NOTHING, how does that feel? Your
biased behaviour is worse than what you call "bias" in my dealings.

Since there was no "exact problem", it has no potential to multiply
WHATSOEVER!

I can go on writing the entire night, I'm that nonplussed with this
issue.

As it is, we don't get as much work done as we'd like, again because of
keyboard warriors doing nothing but typing mails to the list. Do not
create issues that further lead to bottle necks. Please! I beg folks on
the list to refrain from this behaviour. This isn't contribution, if
anything, it sucks from our contribution and de-motivates us.

Do what you can, don't sit and yap and debate and discuss.

Ankur