[fedora-india] Ambassadors in India

Ashwin ashwin.lists at gmail.com
Tue May 11 06:48:43 UTC 2010

On 05/11/2010 10:27 AM, pavithran wrote:
> On 11 May 2010 10:00, Ankur Sinha <sanjay.ankur at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Volunteering means taking responsibility. I'm sure you'll agree with
>> that. Now, if you volunteer as an Ambassador, who are:
>>
>>> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Ambassadors#Who_are_we.3F
>>
>> and go inactive, you're not taking care of your responsibilities. This
>> is what is termed as an "inactive" Ambassador. No one is asking you to
>> share your life's status with the public or blog about it. We're asking
>> you to send us an email or let the community know when you're not going
>> to be around so that your responsibilities can be shared among those who
>> *are* available.
>

> Long thread .
>
> @Ashwin :
> Ambassador is someone who proudly says ' I am fedora' and feels
> responsible . So if you are looking for someone who represents fedora
> in noida we could easily check the ambassador list for one .
>
> You have argued a lot about accountability all I say is to contribute
> and participate with the community . you will understand what all
> others have taken pains to say here .  As your first mail said that
> you have just spread fedora/RH at individual place. The best thing
> would be to start a community of your local users and organise events
> with them . Also check out other LUG's near your place and participate
> in LUG meets . I bet you will be overwhelmed by the fact that the
> communities are close knit .

I decided a path forward to spread LINUX when none existed, right from
Redhat 6.0 days. If you ridicule that effort, may be you are at a loss
and not me. Community activity is more like an advertisement for a short
while like a meet or event, what is more required is to hand hold and
spoon feed new converts to LINUX and iron out their small difficulties,
which is only possible by a personal and individual attention. What
makes you assume that I am not aware or active with LUG in my place ?

> Fedora as a project has been giving lot of resources for ambassadors
> like server space and also some fedora goodies ( They should encourage
> you :P )

I have been around in this activity which pre-dates Fedora.
The only goodies the Fedora can offer me is to have a little more broad
minded vision for future, without demanding performance from the
community in the name of accountability but cajoling them to perform by
increasing the self-awareness of responsibility one holds in her/his
position as an ambassador.

with Regards
ASHWIN