[fedora-india] [Fwd: Re: [Fedora Freemedia] #6429: Krishna Moorthy A from INDIA wants a i386 DVD.]

Wed Mar 9 04:19:47 UTC 2011

On Tue, Mar 8, 2011 at 10:50 PM, Gaurav Menghani
<gaurav.menghani at gmail.com> wrote:

> I would like to chip in with my experiences of seeing people use
> Ubuntu. Apart from the 'stability' thing, one important feature that
> Ubuntu has on the install disc is Wubi [0]. If a newcomer gets the
> option of trying out Linux without any messing with his/her Windows
> partitions, it is a great deal.
>
> Personally, Wubi helped me install Ubuntu on all the computers in one
> of the college labs after assuring the people in-charge that doing
> this that there would be no harm done to their Windows installation,
> and they could uninstall it later if they like, from within Windows,
> just like we uninstall any other Windows software. Same was the case
> with encouraging friends to use Linux.

That's one bit. The other bit is having a live media that has gparted
or, similar utility installed allowing someone to keep the existing OS
while re-partitioning the disk space to install Fedora. Those who do a
lot of installs know about this requirement but it hardly gets talked
about or, made into a note.

--
sankarshan mukhopadhyay
<http://sankarshan.randomink.org/blog>