[fedora-india] Becoming a Fedora package maintainer, easier than ever

Ashwin ashwin.lists at gmail.com
Tue Mar 15 05:52:28 UTC 2011

On 03/15/2011 11:08 AM, Rahul Sundaram wrote:
> On 03/15/2011 10:28 AM, Ashwin wrote:
>>
>> Well, I am attempting to be a "co-maintainer" so I hope the maintainer
>> has also noticed this email. Looks like there is a need to wait for a reply.
>
> I don't push the latest upstream releases to all maintained Fedora
> releases.  This is following the update policy at
>
> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Updates_Policy
>
> Having said that,  if you have done a update for the Fedora 14 branch,
> put up a updated spec file or a patch somewhere and I will review the
> change.

I took up "aria2" as the first one in the list of options suggested by
you. The package already being in the repository, the only choice for me
was to rebuild for Fedora 14. Which I have done now.

*Somewhere* is the actual question I am trying to answer. The wiki
suggests a space on  fedorapeople.org which needs a sponsor. So till the
sponsorship issue gets over, is there any other place which generally
people use (free of cost) which can be suggested ?

>>    From the same page - Section on Access - "You must be sponsored in a
>> group (other than the CLA groups)", so who can sponsor whom ? Is there
>> any "co-maintainer" group ?
>
> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/How_to_get_sponsored_into_the_packager_group
>
> There isn't a specific group for co-maintainers.  All package
> maintainers are in the same group.   Packages in Fedora have a primary
> maintainer who is directly responsible for maintenance and
> co-maintainers (can be more than one) help out.

Ok, now things are understood better. I was pursuing a mirage of
"co-maintainer".

Yes, I am here to help out, with some initial help from others. :)

with Regards,
ASHWIN