Official mirror requirements

Mike McGrath mmcgrath at fedoraproject.org
Tue Jan 23 16:27:34 UTC 2007

On 12/27/06, Rahul Sundaram <sundaram at fedoraproject.org> wrote:
> Hi
>
> What are the requirements other than bandwidth for the official mirrors
> listed at http://fedora.redhat.com/Download/mirrors.html. In particular
> do we require them to carry the complete copy including source images
> and packages? If not we should probably enforce that or list the mirrors
> which only have binary packages as partial mirrors. We can run some
> routine checks in a period basis automatically to cross verify this.
>
> Rahul

I don't think there are bandwith requirements though we do regularly
test the mirrors and if they are overloaded would time out.  I think
they can be somewhat selective (as in not a full copy of all of
rawhide, testing, updates, etc) though it should be a requirement.

We're currently re-writing a new mirror system that can address some
of this stuff.  But monitoring an entire mirror is difficult because
you'd basically have to download it and md5sum everything which is
horribly inefficient.  Our checks are much simpler right now.

           -Mike