host-lifecycle-policy

"Jóhann B. Guðmundsson" johannbg at hi.is
Wed Jan 20 17:40:52 UTC 2010

On 01/18/2010 09:15 PM, Mike McGrath wrote:
> It dawns on me I never actually sent this to the list for comments and we
> haven't officially adopted it yet.
>
> http://infrastructure.fedoraproject.org/csi/host-lifecycle-policy/en-US/html-single/
>
> It's still in flux but give it a read over.  For some stuff it seems like
> it adds more work (like post kickstart checklist) but really it just lists
> what needs to be done as part of bringing a host online.  Backups and
> monitoring are things that often get forgotten about.
>
> I'm working on a very similar doc for bringing services online.
>
> 	-Mike

Great work Mike.

There's one thing I would like to share and recommend that is not
documented there and that is to use different colored Ethernet cables
for different purposes.

For instance we use..

Red for server management ports
White for public network interface
Blue for the backup network interface
etc.

This is most triumph when you need to unplug and service a machine and
plug it back in again and is much less work then labeling each cable
which you will need to do if they are all the same color....

JBG