new web app urls discussion

seth vidal skvidal at fedoraproject.org
Thu Jan 19 20:25:02 UTC 2012

On Thu, 19 Jan 2012 15:11:41 -0500
seth vidal <skvidal at fedoraproject.org> wrote:

> Summary from the meeting:
>
> Today in the infrastructure meeting we started talking about how to
> move the new packages and tagger apps into production and where we
> want them to live in the layout of urls.
>

> Goals:
> 1. simple for users and remember
> 2. not overlapping with any of the older apps or existing urls
> 3. futureproofing for new apps or different interfaces
> 4. expanding the number of apps we have w/o having them grouped under
> a single project (like community was).
>
> Non-Goals of this setup:
>  - no interest in preserving the old admin.fp.o/community urls
>  - no interest in pinning anything/everything behind admin.fp.o
>

> Suggestions:
>
> packages.fedoraproject.org
>
> some concerns about this are it is a bit confusing with
> pkgs.fedoraproject.org.
>
> A couple of ideas there are:
>  1. make the new packages app be the frontpage for pkgs.fp.o  - since
>  gitweb is.... not performant there.
>
>  2. move pkgs.fp.o to git.fp.o or to fedpkg.fp.o and let the new app
>  take over the other urls.
>

> These are just some suggestions we discussed in the meeting.
>
> Please submit more ideas.

The above is a summary - here is an idea from me:

http://app.fedoraproject.org/<appname>/
AND
http://appname.fedoraproject.org/

Then we can have an app landing page at app.fedoraproject.org to
describe what facilities we have but provide for direct links to apps
using a shorter convention.

it also lets us collect apps under fedora w/o necessarily having them
all be a single system.

it's relatively future proof, too.

-sv