mulling the idea of a Infrastructure Security FAD (fedora activity day)

Toshio Kuratomi a.badger at gmail.com
Fri Jun 15 16:34:51 UTC 2012

On Tue, Jun 12, 2012 at 08:09:26PM -0600, Stephen John Smoogen wrote:
> On 12 June 2012 17:03, Kevin Fenzi <kevin at scrye.com> wrote:
> > Greetings.
> >
> > I've been toying with the idea of a Fedora Infrastructure FAD (Fedora
> > Activity Day) around getting our security tasks further along/mapped
> > out, or just done. We can do all these things remotely, but sitting
> > down with less distractions and getting things done or deciding on
> > roadmaps may work faster/better in person.
> >
> > More information on FAD's:
> > http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Fedora_Activity_Day_-_FAD
> >
> > Some possible Goals:
> >
> > * Put in place our 2 factor authentication solution.
> >        - Enable globally for sudo.
> >        - Come up with plan/roadmap for applications 2 factor
> >          authentication.
> >        - enable more 2nd factors if we only have one working.
> >          (yubikey, google authenticator, others?)
>
> I think this would be a good focus. We are looking at a 2 day
> work-fest (meaning many people would be block out 4 days (2 to travel,
> 2 to work)) and I think that would take up most of that 2 days. The
> next primary focus would be mapping what we have and how they talk to
> each other. Getting to know what is around and how it talks to
> everything is a time consuming task but once it is done, it makes
> figuring out what is left out in the wind, what we care about and what
> we don't much easier.

I've been thinking about the idea of having a FAD and I agree with smooge
about limiting the topics we're trying to achieve.  I know that my ability
to finish projects at FUDCon has gone down over the past few years because
the number of projects that I'm involved in at a given FUDCon has gone up.
It seems to me that FADs are designed for getting things done.  So it would
be great for us to focus on just one project (example topic: security;
example project: enable 2 factor auth).  If we have three days and we finish
2 factor in two days, we can always decide to work on a new security-related
project then.

-Toshio