[Fedora-legal-list] Non-translatable export regulations?

Tom "spot" Callaway tcallawa at redhat.com
Tue Mar 16 14:59:55 UTC 2010

On 03/16/2010 06:06 AM, Nigel Jones wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 16, 2010 at 5:13 PM, Paul W. Frields <stickster at gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Yes, this is intentional. That is legal text, and cannot be translated
>>> like the rest of the website (the translation might not end up
>>> appropriate or binding).
>>
>> As I suspected -- thanks for confirming this Spot!
> Not picking on the .de team (I saw this originally w/ another
> translations) but, I'd assume that this also applies to the copyright
> message at the bottom of the page, i.e.:
>
> http://fedoraproject.org/de/get-fedora
>
> "
> © 2009 Red Hat, Inc. und andere. Bei Kommentaren oder Anfragen wenden
> Sie sich bitte an uns.
> Das Fedora-Projekt wird durch die Community verwaltet und von Red Hat
> unterstützt. Diese Seite wird von der Community gepflegt, Red Hat ist
> für den Inhalt nicht verantwortlich.
>     * Sponsoren
>     * Rechtliche Informationen
>     * Richtlinien zum Markenzeichen
> "
>
> Compared to:
>
> "
> © 2010 Red Hat, Inc. and others. For comments or queries, please contact us.
> The Fedora Project is maintained and driven by the community and
> sponsored by Red Hat. This is a community maintained site. Red Hat is
> not responsible for content.
>     * Sponsors
>     * Legal
>     * Trademark Guidelines
> "
>
> I'm assuming the main bit is the copyright year, and the text "and
> others" that are the most important, but just thought I'd mention it.

No, this is actually fine, as stating the copyright like that isn't
strictly "legal text", nor is it a requirement (we don't suddenly lose
copyright on the work if this statement is missing). It is informational
in nature, and the translation of "and others" is not likely to grow
some meaning that we do not intend.

~spot