[Fedora-livecd-list] Revival of this list: Fedora Live DVD?

Greg DeKoenigsberg gdk at redhat.com
Mon Jun 13 10:54:15 UTC 2005

On Sun, 12 Jun 2005, Chip Turner wrote:

> My two cents (and I expect change back):

Your change, as requested.  :)

> I think we should think about why people like live CDs, and what they
> use them for.
>
> I think one of the big attractors is grabbing a CD and taking it into
> an unknown location and yet still having the environment and tools
> they like.  I'm not sure how many people grab a live cd and then go
> 'hey this rocks, go ahead and install!'  I'm sure it happens, but I
> suspect it isn't that often; more likely, they try the live CD out,
> like it, then plan some kind of more permanent install (remember, most
> Windows people will then have to add a second hard drive or
> repartition... not spur-of-the-moment activies).
>
> Having to download the entire distro, PLUS a pile of expanded
> binaries, would just waste bandwidth and annoy people.

True enough.  One of my goals, though, is to have something that the
Fedora Marketing project can burn and ship all over the world -- a
complete "this is Fedora, baby, one DVD, put it in and watch 'er rip."
In my cloud-cuckoo-land, the
"as-not-yet-defined-but-soon-to-exist-Fedora-Foundation" would have budget
to ship physical media to places that maybe can't even download CD images
without great pain.  And I say this knowing full well that DVD has not
reached more than 50% market penetration yet in the best of cases -- but
it'd be nice to be ahead of the curve on something, for once.  :)

> What would be cooler is if you could create them on the fly from a
> given package set; basically take a kickstart (well, the @Packages
> section) and turn it into a cd or dvd.  Maybe also allow custom
> packages.  Make some sensible default (OO+Gnome, maybe) available from
> the official FC site, but, if someone downloads the original DVDs or
> CDs, they should be able to just make their own.

Yeah, I think that the ability to create customized Live CDs/DVDs easily
should be one of the primary goals as well.

So... I *know* that a bunch of the folks on this list have code that
works, doing bits and pieces of this stuff now.  I know, because I added
some of you to the list myself for that very reason.  :)

The question now is, "how do we get our hands dirty"?

--g