output redistribution issues again, was Re: [Fedora-livecd-list] Kadischi: roadmap from Board meeting ?

Alan Milligan alan at balclutha.org
Tue Apr 18 14:24:52 UTC 2006

Chitlesh GOORAH wrote:

> I sat down and read the docs carefully

The problem however is actually in the *applications* (both Kadischi and
Anaconda) - as it stands at the moment, they don't easily allow someone
to rebrand them - without patching.

Things *are* improving in this regard - just rather too slowly as we're
seeing by this thread.

In each of these applications, there's a small group of packages that
contain the proprietry/branded information (fedora-logos, fedora-release
and a couple of others).

[I did manage to get Jeremy to change fedora-logos to system-logos a
couple of months ago, but that's still insufficient]

The problem is that the application attempts to reference these by
*name* instead of by *provides* - which would give us all the
indirection we need.

I could then make *multiple* different fedora derivatives simply by
cloning fedora-release and friends, putting a Provides: fedora-release
in my new package, and deciding which of these to drop into my build
base to spit out fully branded and customised installers and live cd's.

I really do hope RH decides it's easier just to prioritise this change
than to litigate against well-intentioned infringers.

Alan