Small question regardin Fedora

Tareq Al Jurf taljurf at fedoraproject.org
Sun Apr 18 19:37:16 UTC 2010

We don't have this problem in Arabic, although each word has a gender.
For example when talking about fedora, we use it as a male since the arabic
word for operating system is male.
While when talking about redhat, we use it as a female, since companies are
used as females when talking.

On 17 April 2010 20:01, Nelson Marques <07721 at ipam.pt> wrote:

> Thanks all for the nice input of this. This is mainly because for the
> last 12 years I used "a kernel" (female) and while I use "o chapéu (the
> hat, male), I often use "a Fedora" (fedora, female). It sounds very
> weird in male. But I was not sure how most people handle/share this
> situations.
>
> Neville: Portuguese and Spanish are probably more close than Portuguese
> (pt_PT) and (pt_BR). I can see this because in pt_PT scientific
> production is very rare in some areas like Marketing and everyone
> usually goes for English or Spanish production and not Brazilian (which
> is actually very rich, but misleading in most cases due to weird words).
>
> Example:
>
> Escopro (pt_PT): Mason tool to carve stone.
> Escopro (pt_BR): "in the scope of"
>
> That and thousands more kill our minds everyday.
>
> Anyway, thanks all for the valuable input. I'm going to keep in
> Portuguese as "a Fedora" (female), as it also fits well since community
> is female. Good idea.
>
> Thank all.
>
> On Fri, 2010-04-16 at 23:54 +0100, Nelson Marques wrote:
> > A small question, when talking about Fedora, we should use it as male
> > or female? In portuguese there is no genitive or "it", nouns always have
> > gender, either male or female.
> >
> >  One strange example is kernel, where it is refered often as male and
> > other times as female 8)
> >
> >  Anyway, this probably is more in the field of translation teams, but do
> > we have anything set for this kind of situations ?
> >
> >  nelson.

Tareq Al Jurf
Fedora Ambassador
Riyadh, Saudi Arabia