Fedora and Video

Mel Chua mel at redhat.com
Sat Mar 27 12:13:00 UTC 2010

> So this is currently where we stand.  thoughts?

This looks great - and I love the Internet Archive solution, as it
supports free-as-in-freedom-ness as much as we're probably able to find
right now.

Another possibility brought up for evaluation was dailymotion, which
also supports ogg/html5
(http://www.reelseo.com/dailymotion-support-open-video-formats/) and is
based on an open source PHP framework
(http://www.symfony-project.org/blog/2009/02/18/dailymotion-powered-by-symfony
- though I can't find any references to whether the customizations
they've introduced are also open-licensed... in the absence of being
able to find this, don't think so.)

The question in my mind is how, while still starting from our shared
foundation of Freedom, we can make these videos as accessible and
consumable by others as possible. In particular, we hope many of these
videos will reach people who *aren't* already using Fedora and Free
Software, so that they will *start* using Fedora and Free Software - how
do we make this experience as easy and pleasant as possible for them as
possible? They probably won't care about ogg/html5... they're just going
to want to watch the video. (This is similar to the discussion we had
earlier about using twitter alongside identi.ca - we need to make sure
that we're not just preaching to the choir.)

I'm hoping this question is something that students, as folks new to
Fedora and probably new to open source, but veterans of social media,
will be able to help us with.

Also, I made a stub page for this
(https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Video_hosting) and linked to it from our
projects section (https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Marketing#Projects).

Finally, remember that we've still got our release deliverables to
do[0]. ;) Folks working on feature profiles, those are your first
priority, marketing-wise. (Speaking of which... I need to schedule
interviews for mine.) Folks not working on feature profiles, we start
work on https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/One_page_release_notes this
coming Tuesday. Mm, prioritization!

--Mel

[0]