PortugalFAD

Nelson Marques 07721 at ipam.pt
Thu May 6 17:27:25 UTC 2010

On Thu, 2010-05-06 at 09:45 -0700, Robyn Bergeron wrote:
> On Thu, May 6, 2010 at 9:11 AM, Nelson Marques <07721 at ipam.pt> wrote:
> > Dear all,
> >
> > Something came up the other day in the trans_PT lists and I'm pushing a
> > FAD in Portugal forward.
> >
> > Some minor details are to be found here:
> > https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/PtFAD
> >
> > Currently there is no date assigned because our national community is so
> > small that we're trying to select a date where everyone can be present.
> >
> > Once we have the date we're going to place it also on the Event page and
> > follow the normal guidelines for this.
> >
> > Our goals with this FAD is to provide a self-assessment of the Project
> > Fedora in Portugal and it's contributors/user base.
>
> I think this is a good idea; I'd just like to point out, from at least
> my own personal experience, that it will be helpful for you to add
> more specific deliverables to your agenda, rather than a general
> "self-assessment."  Even if those deliverables look something like:

Robyn,

If I was aware of the current problems of the community, I could for
sure be more specific. But I am not, so I need to understand the
problems for a later plan to fix them and eventually fill in the gaps.

There is so much to cover, that a single day will not be enough. This is
a first approach to try and understand everything around us (portuguese
contributors). So that later we can segment the information and deal
with it accordingly.

Segmenting the information now, will probably do far worst than good.
Most of it will be around translations, as it will be our "trojan horse"
to start officializing the community.

> * Hour 1-2: Define the specific items we are going to assess
> * Hours 3-6: Wiki each of these items with detail on where each of
> these specific criteria currently fall on a success scale
>
> etc.  Whatever seems logical.  It's too easy to spend an entire day
> thinking about a giant document of self-assessment and then not
> getting anything accomplished.  If you break it up into individual
> pieces - and by time - I think you are more likely to produce results.

This is good and we will split it into schedule later on, but this is
being treated in another list and it's just like a "heads-up".

> IMO - The most important thing here to think about is - what are you
> going to do with the information you get from self-assessment? I would
> recommend that you add some time into the schedule for the following:
>
> * Where are you now (which is the self-assessment)
> * Where do you want to be (and what are the criteria for success there)
> * What are your steps and milestones to get from where you are now -
> to where you want to be in the future
> * How are you planning on checking / updating the status of your progress

Everything will be placed on the wiki and treated after. It would not be
realistic to identify the problems and plan in such few time, specially
when there is no bound between us at the moment.

After the event we should have accomplished at least this:

* Number of contributors in Volume and Valor.
* Areas where we are present.
* Problems that lead people away or why they don't join.
* Portuguese Language availability and its importance.
* We have to get 1 or 2 volunteers for Ambassadors, this is a must, else
we will be heavily crippled since the very start. We need EMEA present
if possible to help on this.

This has to be done and wiki'ed for everyone to see.

>From this point on, we should be able to present an answer for at least
the following:

* How we can interact with ourselfs across the project (imagine for
example a fedora-portugal at lists.fedoraproject.org). Since we are so few,
this is something that can make all the difference and provide us a way
to keep people mobilized and help newcomers around. I recognize one of
the problems is having people to mentor/tutor newcomers, and the wiki
page referal for information, doesn't help. So if we have the
opportunity, we will try to tutor and help people starting with. Like a
launching ramp. The would integrate with Fedora International Community
through an already established Portuguese community that would be more
user friendly with providing info and helping in a more less formal way,
without overloading other teams which are on full production process.

* We have for sure to make sure that pt_PT is properly defined for the
Portuguese audience. We don't want to neutralize other contributions,
but if pt_PT will follow the standardized rules used by Portugal. This
will be a benefict for everyone, because it's a large open door for
example Angola, which is one of the most growing economies in the World,
and will enable projects like OLPC in a more effective way, plus
providing more tools to EMEA and establish new bridges.

* Through me, possible gather more Marketing contributors, that together
with the trans_PT can provide more contents in PT.

* We should be able also to redifine how to approach other FOSS entities
in Portugal and make Fedora representation more visible.

I would consider this to be something "doable". Some right out of the
FAD, other things by processing information on the FAD. I expect to wiki
a lot on that day.

> > I'm going to call-in a press release, so there might be journalists
> > present from national specialized and generic press to cover this event,
> > including a TV team from SIC Radical (http://sicradical.sapo.pt/) which
> > is very friendly towards this events and a channel directed to younger
> > people.
>
> How are you planning on using this press time exactly?

This is a very important thing. First we need to mobilize organizations
like ANSOL, they love the press, the press loves them. Given the fact
that we're going to work around pt_PT, this is a point of interest for
everyone.

Mobilizing the press. I have some personal contacts I can explore, on a
local basis, I would give them as granted. This is something that
happens in a city which leads world technology in some fields, specially
telecommunications. So we have a link with the city and we do fit well
there.

At national press, I do have some contacts and can for sure get some
people there, not sure if they we will have material to go over
editorial battles. But there is the possibility of references. Being
ANSOL involved and given the importance of pt_PT goals. There is
material.

Television - Sic Radical aims for younger generations, for national
projects of all levels. Technology is something they like, and in the
past they were present at events like LAN Parties, etc. Given that we
are doing some heavy ice-breaking work here. I believe I can get their
attention. Besides, making this event on IPAM and using it's name, will
for sure pay off. I would recon that pt_PT will be attractive enough for
them.

For the press release itself, I will work on it with people from my
school to get something more professional. In fact, within 1 hour or so,
I will be collecting help.

I will run everything before in this list.

> > I would like to request the following on this list, specially from EMEA.
> >
> > * I am not aware of Portuguese current Ambassadors; if there are none, I
> > would like to check for volunteers during the FAD, as it will become
> > important to have our own Ambassadors. Therefore, I would like to place
> > an invitation for EMEA so send in someone who can represent it if that
> > is possible.
> >
> > * This event is to be reported to Ambassadors list, when the time comes,
> > can I contact someone to pass the word on the Ambassadors list? Gerold?
> > JSimon? Wonderer?
> >
> > * I would like also to know if there are Ambassadors in Spain located in
> > Galicia. If so, I would kindly ask someone of EMEA to check availability
> > on them and address them an invitation as well. Galicia and Portugal are
> > very close in Language, culture and History. We would like for sure to
> > work closer to them.
> >
> > * I would like to place a formal request, and this would be awesome to
> > be discussed during the FAD, once more it could be relevant to have
> > someone from EMEA present, so that future Portuguese Ambassadors could
> > be tutored by EMEA Ambassadors.
> >
> > * I never got to know how Ambassadors do work, but I would like to let
> > everyone know that during this FAD we are taking the Ambassadorial work
> > as very serious thing, and probably as the main critical factor of
> > success in establishing a community in Portugal, and more important keep
> > it alive, which is the hard part. So If there is present a Ambassador
> > from Fedora EMEA, I would request a small presentation about
> > bidirectional communication. Something in the line of:
> >
> >  Ambassadorial Work:
> >
> >  Represent Fedora before the Community | Represent the Community before
> > Fedora.
> >
> >  I would recon this would only work if such connections are established
> > and work in a bidirectional way.
> >
> > * I would like to remember EMEA, that Portugal leads the PALOP's
> > organization (Official Portuguese Speaking Countries in Africa). We are
> > they key for a good part of Africa, and all of them speak and signed all
> > the Portuguese treaties. The Portuguese teached in Africa is the same
> > teached in Portugal. This could be relevant, as Africa is a part of
> > EMEA, and projects like OLPC can be more effective by having a strong
> > Portuguese presence in the Project.
> >

> >  Once I have feedback from the current Portuguese team, a date will be
> > set and everyone will be informed in a formal way. I would though
> > request someone from EMEA to pass on a future email to the Ambassadors
> > list.
> >
> >  This are some concerns, I would also like to place a request not to
> > troll this thread, as it's something constructive for the benefit of
> > all.
> >
> >  Nelson.
> >

> > --

Nelson Marques