recycling "Fedora Insight" name?

Ryan Lerch rlerch at redhat.com
Tue May 5 00:53:23 UTC 2015

On 05/05/2015 06:54 AM, Matthew Miller wrote:
> So, thinking some about the content-for-contributors blog idea. I had
> asked Ryan and Chris if they could go ahead with working on a Council
> blog, but in the open floor meeting today there was some enthusiasm for
> being broader than that.
>
> I don't want to call such a blog "Fedora Contributor Blog" or similar,
> though, because that's basically duplicating the Planet in a
> centralized way — something I think we don't need.
>
> So, I guess, multi-part question.
>
> First, is it worth doing this _at all_, or should we wait for the
> Fedora Hubs? The contributor-focused content could be presented in some
> way (as feed items on the hub, say). In that case, the council blog
> would be more focused to "okay, here's a place for Matthew and other
> council members to put official stuff", and everything else (election
> surveys, weekly graphs and charts of metrics, Fedora Objective RFCs,
> etc.) could be on the Hub. But, I don't want to put so much
> requirement-pressure on Hubs that it collapses before launch by being
> asked to do too much.
>
> Second, if people think it's worth going ahead with a
> more-contributor-focused blog, what about reusing the Fedora Insight
> name (and url, for that matter) from a few years ago? It's catchy, and
> sounds somewhat insider-y (while not seeming closed-off).
>
> What do you think?

In my head, this blog is more of Fedora Community News --  news items
about the Fedora community, the scope of this would be like:

* Updates on upcoming events that we are holding / supporting -- FUDCon,
Flock, and others that ambassadors are attending in an official capacity.

* Reports on what happened at such events -- a portion of Flock & Fudcon
reports would also be useful for the magazine too, if they are talking
about new features in Fedora itself

* News about an upcoming election -- including interviews with the
candidates

* News about election results

* News items from the Council, FESCo, and other commitees and working
groups that pertain to the organization & running of the project --
direct output from say, the working group that impacts users, like new
features in a flavour would probably want to be on the magazine too.

--ryanlerch