Out of action for a while & mono heads up

Christian Krause chkr at fedoraproject.org
Wed Aug 4 22:34:10 UTC 2010

Hi Paul,

On 08/04/2010 10:22 AM, Paul Johnson wrote:
> Onto something else, mono 2.8 is due out in September so Novell are
> going to be releasing a 2.7 release candidate/test candidate series at
> some point either late this week or early next. Please remember that the
> 2.8 branch will not have any support at all for .NET 1.1. If you are
> maintaining anything which relies on the 1.1 framework, please contact
> either the upstream people for fixes or be prepared for breakages galore.

Since F14 will be shipped only one month later than mono 2.8, I'd like
to suggest not to update mono in the F14 branch to 2.8 or any release
candidates for now. If the mono release would be delayed we would end up
with some probably instable pre-release in F14.

Updating rawhide with the release candidates or the final mono 2.8 is
for sure a good thing to report any problems to upstream early.

If it turns out that the final 2.8 is quite stable and none of the major
mono-based packages rely on .NET 1.1 we can always reconsidering the
decision on the mailing list later on and update it in F14 as well.

Paul, do you agree?

Best regards,
Christian