[Fedora-packaging] rpmlint on Fedora and FHS

Mario Blättermann mariobl at freenet.de
Sat Jul 16 20:44:22 UTC 2011

Am 16.07.2011 22:05, schrieb Siem Korteweg:
[...]
> What do you mean with the common installation prefix? What is the common
> installation prefix when I migrate the software to /usr/bin, /etc/scc and
> /var/scc?

OK, I had to refer to prefixes, actually. The common prefix for binaries
(such as scripts, too) is /usr. Configuration files go into /etc, and
data should go into /usr/share.

Read the FHS again to see more about the purpose of the appropriate
folders. You will see that it would be better to use the common folders
from Fedora instead of /opt. The existence of a folder doesn't mean that
you may use it as you like it ;)

However, it is not prohibited to use /opt at all. Or am I wrong here?
CC'ing "spot" although I assume he reads this list.

Best Regards,
Mario