[Fedora-packaging] rpmlint on Fedora and FHS

Björn Persson bjorn at xn--rombobjrn-67a.se
Sat Jul 16 21:02:16 UTC 2011

Mario Blättermann wrote:
> Am 16.07.2011 21:06, schrieb Siem Korteweg:
> > Why is it not permitted for packages to install files in /opt while that
> > is allright according to the FHS and Fedora follows FHS?
>
> FHS says in the first sentence:
>
> »/opt is reserved for the installation of add-on application software
> packages.«
>
> Installation in /opt is unusual in Fedora, but permitted as far as I
> know. Is SCC an »add-on software«?

As I understand it, "add-on" refers to software that is not installed as a
Fedora package, that is a tarball or some other kind of package that you
download from a third-party website. That's what the generic SCC package is.
Although it's distributed as an RPM package in this case, it's not a Fedora
package, so it belongs in /opt.

When you package SCC for Fedora it becomes a part of Fedora and is no longer
an "add-on", so then its files shall be placed in /usr/bin, /etc/scc and
/var/lib/scc (not /var/scc).

Björn Persson