Fwd: Re: ruby 1.8.7.x for rawhide

Mohammed Morsi mmorsi at redhat.com
Thu Jun 24 20:41:55 UTC 2010

On 06/24/2010 12:58 AM, Jim Meyering wrote:
> Mohammed Morsi wrote:
>
>> Readded, though honestly I'm not a fan of this reasoning. If its not

> Thanks.
>

>>> I see you are still using this approach:
>>>
>>>     %build
>>>     export LIB_PREFIX=%{_lib}
>>>
>>> Using that approach causes the "make ...&&   cd r*9/r*9&&   make ..."
>>> idiom to subtly malfunction if it ends up running mkconfig.rb.
>>>
>> Done, changed it to use your patch.
>>
> Thanks.
>

>> New SRPM uploaded:
>>
>>    http://mo.morsi.org/files/ruby-1.8.7.249-5.fc13.src.rpm
>>
> Minor suggestions:
>
>    - don't add two trailing blanks via ruby-1.8.7-lib-paths.patch
>      You can remove just those two via e.g.,
>
>        perl -pi -e 's/(.) $/$1/' ruby-1.8.7-lib-paths.patch

Actually only one of these whitespace changes is in this patch, the
other one is in the always-use-i386 patch. Regardless, thanks for the
catch, both have been fixed.

>    - remove unused: %global sitedir2 %{ruby_sitelib}

I had originally removed sitedir and sitedir2, but Mamoru asked me to
readd them for compatibility purposes. Obviously they aren't used
anymore in the spec file but I wasn't sure if the macros defined there
are made available to other packages dependent on Ruby and thus readded
them. If this is not the case, I agree, they should be removed.

http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/ruby-sig/2010-June/000138.html

>    - remove vestiges of emacs.  Now that we don't distribute ruby-mode
>      (it's in new-enough emacs), you can remove these lines from your spec:
>
> # emacs sitelisp directory
> %{!?_emacs_sitelispdir:  %global _emacs_sitelispdir  %{_datadir}/emacs/site-lisp}
> %{!?_emacs_sitestartdir: %global _emacs_sitestartdir %{_datadir}/emacs/site-lisp/site-start.d}
>
> BuildRequires: emacs

Removed.

New srpm, uploaded here:

http://mo.morsi.org/files/ruby-1.8.7.299-1.fc13.src.rpm