Thoughts on Fedora Server lifecycle

Jim Perrin jperrin at centos.org
Mon Nov 4 16:23:09 UTC 2013

On Mon, Nov 4, 2013 at 10:52 AM, Kevin Fenzi <kevin at scrye.com> wrote:

> Are we planning a netinstall iso type thing thats the bare needed to
> run yum to install other packages? (This may be something the base
> group makes?)

I absolutely think this is something we should focus on. From the CentOS
side, we have a ton of interest in our minimal iso. There are a number of
folks who use it in conjunction with puppet/cfengine to deploy things. This
may potentially bleed into (or overlap with ) the cloud sig folks.

> Are we planning an install dvd that asks folks what to install from a
> list of things we ship on the dvd (and optionally the net)?
>
> Do we make a livecd type image that has a curated selection of server
> services we want that can be used live or installed?

Is there a use case for a livecd server setup? There's probably something
for this, but I'm interested in what others think.

> I realize it's somewhat backwards to think about deliverables before we
> have fully thought of what we are shipping and to who, but short term I
> don't know that we have a lot of options and narrowing that down might
> help narrow down other things. Of course longer term we could implement
> any sort of deliverable we have time/energy to do.

I don't think it's overly backwards. A minimal iso etc is some low-hanging
fruit we could get done early while we work on the rest.

> Speaking only for myself, in the enterprise area, something like the
> netinstall iso with just enough stuff to install further stuff would be
> what I would use. For home use, it's nice to have something that works
> from usb, I could see using most any kind of image there. I've
> personally not burned a DVD in many years.

Agreed. Most deployments I've seen these days are pxe, netinstall, or usb.
Alternately we could push the boot.fedora bits as well.

--
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary
act.