RH Decisions (was Re: APT, Yum and Red Carpet)

Jesse Keating hosting at j2solutions.net
Thu Aug 14 15:07:50 UTC 2003

On Thursday 14 August 2003 05:37, Rik van Riel wrote:
> I snipped the fine print. Read the page yourself if you plan
> on distributing Red Hat Linux, etc...

What this doesn't really address is companies like the one I work for that
pre-install the freely downloadable Red Hat Linux, at no charge to the
customer.  We aren't "selling" the OS at all, and we aren't making any money
by having the OS, yet we're still not allowed to advertize the fact that we
pre-installed Red Hat, which a lot of customers are looking for.  I think
that the rules should be modified slightly so that you're free to advertize
if you aren't selling the OS, but giving it away with system sales.  We also
ship CDs to anybody that requests them, so we're almost a non-profit in that
regard.  It's very hard to "do the right thing" when dealing with the Red Hat
trademark.  Hard enough to cause my bosses to look at other distros that will
be more friendly w/ the trademark usage.

--
Jesse Keating RHCE MCSE
http://geek.j2solutions.net

Was I helpful?  Let others know: