freeswan ipsec module won't insert into latest rawhide kernel - missing symbols?

George J Karabin gkarabin at pobox.com
Mon Sep 22 06:16:18 UTC 2003

I compiled the latest free/swan release
(ftp://ftp.xs4all.nl/pub/crypto/freeswan/binaries/RedHat-RPMs/freeswan-2.02-1fs.src.rpm) from SRPM, tweaked to use gcc32, but I can't insert the ipsec.o module into the kernel due to missing symbols (error messages attached).

The symbols are present in the kernel that I'm running when I run 'ksyms
-a', but only with a suffix, and not an exact match. For example 'ksyms
-a|grep neigh_compat_output':
c0219a40  neigh_compat_output_Re194ad7b

I gather that this has something to do with symbol versions differing
between the kernel that I'm running and the kernel that I'm compiling
from. Is it possible that the latest Rawhide kernel (2051) generates
different symbols depending on whether one builds with the kernel SRPM
or the kernel-source RPM? If that's not it, I'm without a clue so far.

I'm taking it as granted that the free/swan SRPM works OK when built on
a RedHat 9 machine - the number of individual RPMS that they've built
seems to attest to that.

Thanks,

- George