kernel rebuild does'nt build actual kernel

Tom 'spot' Callaway tcallawa at redhat.com
Thu Mar 4 16:54:36 UTC 2004

On Thu, 2004-03-04 at 10:40 -0600, Harry Putnam wrote:

> Thanks for the explanations... but I still don't see how to control
> the build from the spec file.  For example:
>
>   Don't build the debug rpms

Debug rpms are done systemwide for all packages that aren't noarch. This
isn't kernel specific. However, if you really want to disable the
debuginfo, adding this line to the spec will do it:

%define __debug_package 0

Be aware that this will likely inflate the size of the packages, since
debuginfo is not being stripped and put in its own rpm package.

>   only build i686

rpmbuild -bb --target i686 kernel-2.6.spec

>   don't build an src file

The only arches that build kernel-source are i386, x86_64, and sparc. At
least for x86, thats about all it builds when the target is i386. So,
presuming you're i686 or higher, doing the above commandline will not
build kernel-source (or kernel*.src.rpm for that matter).

>   do build a src file

rpmbuild -bb --target i386 kernel-2.6.spec (will make kernel-source)
rpmbuild -bs kernel-2.6.spec (will make kernel-*.src.rpm)

~spot
---
Tom "spot" Callaway <tcallawa(a)redhat*com> LCA, RHCE
Red Hat Sales Engineer || Aurora SPARC Linux Project Leader

"The author's mathematical treatment of the conception of purpose is
novel and highly ingenious, but heretical and, so far as the present
social order is concerned, dangerous and potentially subversive. Not
to be published." -- Aldous Huxley's "Brave New World"