How to download a file without installing?

Anne Wilson cannewilson at googlemail.com
Sat Apr 19 18:26:19 UTC 2008

On Saturday 19 April 2008 18:36:48 Michal Jaegermann wrote:
> On Sat, Apr 19, 2008 at 11:28:34AM +0100, Anne Wilson wrote:
> > I've tried till I'm blue in the face.  Listing /etc/yum.repos.d gives me
> > fedora-rawhide.repo, fedora.repo, fedora-updates.repo and
> > fedora-updates-testing.repo,
>
> Are these non-empty?
>
> > yet attempting to disable any of them tells me
> > that there is no such file or directory.  Giving the full path doesn't
> > help either.
>
> You are enabling on disabling by repo names and not names of
> configuration files.  Try
>
>    grep -r '^\[' /etc/yum.repos.d/
>
> What you see in '[...]' brackets are names you are interested in.
> Another quick way to check those names, if they were already used, is by
>
>    ls /var/cache/yum
>
> Also what
>
>    grep -r enabled= /etc/yum.repos.d/
>
> has to say?

I'll go through all those in the morning, when I go back out to it.

> > Where do I go from here?
>
> Get yourself installed yum-utils, if not already there and
> see what 'package-cleanup' has to say about problems, duplicates
> and orphans.  Try 'package-cleanup --help' for help.
> Also an output of 'rpm -Va' can be informative (redirect that
> to a file and go over it later as likely it will be sizeable).

yum-utils was already installed, thankfully, as installing anything at the
moment seems impossible.  Cleanup said that there are no problems and no
duplicates.  I think I asked about orphans, but I'll check that.

I'll report on the rest tomorrow.  Thanks for the suggestions.

Anne