heads-up: upstart reversion coming soon

"Jóhann B. Guðmundsson" johannbg at gmail.com
Wed Sep 15 03:41:16 UTC 2010

  On 09/15/2010 02:26 AM, Bill Nottingham wrote:
> Hypothetical example:
>
> - F-14 has systemd-10 in the repo
> - there's some bug in an included systemd service file in an app that
>    needs fixed.
> - oops, to do that right requires an updated systemd package, say, version 12
> - the version of that in rawhide include updated units that override
>    parts of the initscripts startup, halt, and other services
> - you then backport... what, exactly? And how much effort is it worth
>    to work on fixing this, rather than fixing F-15?

How are you going to deal with the same hypothetical example in F15?

If we assume that FESCO shows superb level of competence in the F15
cycle and bases its decisions on facts not assumptions and fears and
hypothetical examples that might cause us to loose all our users since
we would be shipping systemd without the six month experience on the
field and gnome-shell <insert third ingredient of feature in the mixed
that might bring doom to us all )  at the same time and accepts systemd
as a feature.

Everybody were working hard to achieves this and overcome whatever
obstacle that was in it's path to make this a successful feature and
everybody were doing a dam good job of it. The community was working
like a well greased engine..

The decision to reject this feature certainly was a lesson in killing
momentum which we will never reach again.

JBG

Ps.
        Yes I'm pissed and I have every right to be I eventually will
get over it and so will you over my rant.