Multiple F15Beta bugs in under an hour

John Morris jmorris at beau.org
Thu Apr 21 01:07:38 UTC 2011

Ok, downloaded the F15Beta live cd today.  Booted it on a Thinkpad X200s
docked with external display, keyboard and mouse + internal panel.

Guess I'll run the bugs by roughly in the order discovered.

Grub is the first one.  The external keyboard didn't work.  It does on
F12 which is the primary OS on the machine.

Lauching the file browser (nautilus?) and mousing over the available
mount points got a crash from gvfs.

Next bug is no debuginfo packages for key bits like glibc means no
automatic bug report from abrt was possible.  Guys, no debug packages
means no good reports, which is the whole point of a beta, right?

Cups is present and browsing is enabled but no printers show.  Lots of
printers are expected to show.  Nothing interesting in the logs.

My large display is to the left of the laptop.  This is correctable via
the GUI.  Making it the primary display isn't, xrandr is required to set
the primary display with 'xrandr --output HDMI2 --primary'  If the user
needs the terminal for something that basic, more baking needs doin'.

Invoking the sound config locks if you click on a default sound.  Quiet
repeating grunts are audible until it finally crashes for good and
again, abrt can't make a report.  Not sure yet if that is a kernel
problem, the eternal horror of pulseaudio or something new.  When I get
time I will poke around more and report.  Please don't be a kernel bug!
I have had to pass over F13 and F14 because of kernel bugs in undocking
if I have to skip F15 for sound I'm boned.  Pulseaudio I can remove.

Launch firefox and display the About popup.  Notice anything missing?
Yup, the only way to be rid of it is to stop FF and kill off
xulrunner-bin.  Or perhaps xkill?  Is this a window manager (mutter?)
bug?

And finally, good thing I read the mailing lists... otherwise I'd have
never guessed holding ALT down was the only way to shutdown or reboot.
What genius of user interface design thought that was a good idea?
REALLY?  Seriously, this is introducing a whole new idiom to user
interfaces that people have zero expectation of.  The choices presented
in a menu should not vary based on buckybits.  It violates decades of
user expectations.