Adding Fedora15 to F16alpha grub2 menu

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Fri Aug 26 06:42:30 UTC 2011

On Thu, 2011-08-25 at 19:13 -0600, Peter G. wrote:
> Tom H wrote:
>
> > The default Fedora install, up to now, has been to have a separate
> > "/boot" in order to use LVM for "/". That's one reason and there are
> > others (for example, some people don't mount "/boot" at boot; they
> > only mount it to update the kernel and the boot config and then
> > unmount it).
>
> I never figured out a use for LVM, either ;-)

The biggest use is very easy resizing of partitions, without data loss.

> I think I read it's going bye-bye, isn't
> it? Something about btrfs making it irrelevant?

In the long term, yeah, btrfs will have support for everything that
makes LVM (and soft RAID, in fact) interesting. Probably be F18 before
we really stop using LVM and RAID separately from the filesystem by
default, though (that's just a WAG).