Gnome 3

Pasha R pashar.ml at gmail.com
Wed Jun 1 05:51:07 UTC 2011

On Wed, Jun 1, 2011 at 4:07 AM, Scott Doty <scott at ponzo.net> wrote:
> On 05/31/2011 12:18 PM, Pasha R wrote:
>>
>> So, lets  tackle the screensaver issue again. As I understand from
>> your answer there are currently no plans to return screensavers other
>> than blank screen - it is not a temporary matter of lack of resources.
>> I would like to see this decision reversed.
>
> Hi Pasha,
>
> As a workaround, you can do what I did, and install xscreensaver.  It
> continues to have the complete set of legacy, gl, etc. screensavers that
> we've seen developed over the last 20 years.
>
> (You'll also have to go into gnome-session-properties to take out
> gnome-screensaver and add xscreensaver.)
>
> _[/home/scott]_(scott at m5)_
> $ rpm -qa | grep "^xscreensaver"
> xscreensaver-base-5.14-1.fc15.x86_64
> xscreensaver-gl-base-5.14-1.fc15.x86_64
> xscreensaver-5.14-1.fc15.x86_64
> xscreensaver-gl-extras-5.14-1.fc15.x86_64
> xscreensaver-extras-5.14-1.fc15.x86_64
> xscreensaver-extras-base-5.14-1.fc15.x86_64
>

> I would also like to point out that contradicting someone's ideas isn't
> necessarily hostile, but is necessary for expressing different points of
> view...

Thanks.
I didn't realize it is still present in fedora. I always liked
xscreensaver responsiveness. With gnome-screensaver, it sometimes
takes few seconds until it swaps in its login dialog, even on quite
modern machine, while xscreensaver always presented its dialog
instantly, even on my old P3 with 256Mb RAM.
Still, I believe that ability to choose screensaver is a nice feature
that should not be removed from Gnome, even if there are non-Gnome
alternatives.