OT: GNOME a Linux-only project ? systemd a dependency of GNOME 3 ?

Rahul Sundaram metherid at gmail.com
Mon May 23 10:29:10 UTC 2011

On 05/23/2011 11:56 AM, JB wrote:
> Methinks ... geeks have too many itches ... and aversion to thinking ...
> All the best to you ... from UNIX generation :-)

You went through all the trouble to selectively take out parts of a
mailing list  thread, news posting and posted here as well but I think
you overlooked some important parts of the thread.   systemd can be
compiled with just the helper binaries to be used in combination with
other init systems and distributions which haven't switched to systemd
yet can use that.   For other platforms,  they can implement the D-Bus
interfaces and continue to use whatever init system they want to use and
this is what Lennart recommends.   Some components of GNOME already rely
on Linux specific interfaces and have done so for a long time.  Same
with Xfce in their latest release in fact.

https://live.gnome.org/PortabilityMatrix

Other platforms do some porting and this sometimes takes time since they
don't have any many developers involved but it does happen.  If you want
to continue posting your thoughts, I recommend doing so in a blog.

Rahul