Proposal: stop holding composes for preupgrade bugs at Alpha and Beta phases

Kalev Lember kalevlember at gmail.com
Tue Apr 10 06:46:43 UTC 2012

On 04/10/2012 09:04 AM, Adam Williamson wrote:
> On Mon, 2012-04-09 at 22:15 -0500, Bruno Wolff III wrote:
>> I think we want preupgrade to work for at least beta. I think just not
>> blocking the composes, but requiring it to work for beta is better than
>> waiting until final.
>
> That's the intent of option 2). Though to be honest, we're not terribly
> good at following through on it. When we've had preupgrade /
> livecd-tools 'blockers' before, we've sometimes not managed to get the
> fix pushed stable by release date.

I think it's a great idea to not block media composes for preupgrade
issues. However, it is still a supported upgrade method and needs
Beta testing. I would definitely not move preupgrade to only blocking
final release; why else are we doing Beta releases if not to get testing?

What I would do is treat preupgrade bugs at Go/No-Go meetings as release
blockers, but at the same time not require install media respin for
preupgrade fixes. This should allow more flexibility and faster turnover
for validation. As long as there is a process to accept Anaconda builds
to stable during the freeze without doing composes, I believe this
should work.

--
Kalev