automatically mounting physically attached media (was Re: Move from /media to /run/media/$USER)

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Thu Apr 19 02:26:46 UTC 2012

> The arguments are really going downhill here. I'm not overly interested
> in wading into this, but I'll just say that whenever we do something
> automatically, somebody will get mad. In the past, auto-mounting (and
> even just automatically sniffing) of media has been construed as a
> security issue..
>
> Anyway,
> http://git.gnome.org/browse/gvfs/commit/?id=e30a67f3215d829e95ee7e358c67af7d67635fe8

Honestly, I'm not sure there's any difference at all between 'mount on
attach' and 'mount on any attempt to access' from a security POV. I
think the decision to change this was a good one, and I doubt it'll make
many people unhappy - and as several commenters have pointed out, it's
only in line with what every other OS we can think of does by default,
and what Fedora / GNOME has always done in the past.