screen crashes in F17 alpha/beta

Michal Jaegermann michal at harddata.com
Thu Apr 19 20:13:40 UTC 2012

On Thu, Apr 19, 2012 at 01:22:19PM -0400, Brian Johnson wrote:

> So, here's what is flashing:
>
> manpath: warning: $MANPATH set, ignoring /etc/man_db.conf
> free(207da4d) bad block. (memtop = 0x21bd000 membot = 0x2074000)

Why that may affect 'screen' I have no idea.  Does not seem to be a
likely cause but I cannot really tell.  OTOH the above _may_ mean
that your disk is acting up (and possibly swap is affected).  If that
is really the case then you should get quite a lot to read in
/var/log/messages and in dmesg output.

If this is not the case  then running

   strace -o /tmp/screen.trace screen

and looking at results may give you some clues (but you have to
be careful how you read that and pay attention to a context).

    Michal