F17 Alpha RC2

Michael Schwendt mschwendt at gmail.com
Fri Feb 17 21:03:42 UTC 2012

On Fri, 17 Feb 2012 12:04:50 -0800, AW (Adam) wrote:

> > Next I'll try to reinstall without enabling "updates".

News:

DVD image on hdd based installation of RC2 also locks up when booting.
Not much on the screen except for loading initial RAM disk and two
lines related to checking/mounting an LVM volume.

No idea how long to wait for something to happen. Got impatient
after approx. a minute. ;)

Rebooted in permissive mode and without "rhgb quiet".

As mentioned before, "Show Plymouth boot screen" mentioned "FAILED".
It asked me to check

# systemctl status plymouth-start.service
plymouth-start.service - Show Plymouth Boot Screen
	  Loaded: loaded (/usr/lib/systemd/system/plymouth-start.service; static)
	  Active: failed (Result: exit-code) since Fri, 17 Feb 2012 21:33:56 +0100; 20min ago
	  CGroup: name=systemd:/system/plymouth-start.service

Perhaps relevant, with TC2 I've not had any Plymouth animation screen
either, but that one booted fine because I didn't use any LUKS encrypted
partition. With RC2 I had added a LUKS encrypted /home during installation.

And voila, the non-quiet boot printed the passphrase prompt somewhere
in the verbose output (just as with Fedora 16).

I'm going to file a Plymouth bug, but my older one about issues with F-16
and F-15 has not been responded to yet. :-(  I've been booting F-16 with
the detailed Plymouth theme, because all other ones freeze from time to
time prior to displaying the LUKS passphrase prompt.