F17 Alpha RC2

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Fri Feb 17 21:07:44 UTC 2012

On Fri, 2012-02-17 at 22:03 +0100, Michael Schwendt wrote:
> On Fri, 17 Feb 2012 12:04:50 -0800, AW (Adam) wrote:
>
> > > Next I'll try to reinstall without enabling "updates".
>
> News:
>
> DVD image on hdd based installation of RC2 also locks up when booting.
> Not much on the screen except for loading initial RAM disk and two
> lines related to checking/mounting an LVM volume.
>
> No idea how long to wait for something to happen. Got impatient
> after approx. a minute. ;)
>
> Rebooted in permissive mode and without "rhgb quiet".
>
> As mentioned before, "Show Plymouth boot screen" mentioned "FAILED".
> It asked me to check

I've seen that fail in all my test installs, but it hasn't actually
prevented boot.

> And voila, the non-quiet boot printed the passphrase prompt somewhere
> in the verbose output (just as with Fedora 16).

Yes, sounds like this issue is specific to having an encrypted
partition. Thanks for catching it.

> I'm going to file a Plymouth bug, but my older one about issues with F-16
> and F-15 has not been responded to yet. :-(  I've been booting F-16 with
> the detailed Plymouth theme, because all other ones freeze from time to
> time prior to displaying the LUKS passphrase prompt.

Please nominate the bug as an Alpha blocker when you file it, per the
criteria:

"The installer must be able to complete an installation using the entire
disk, existing free space, or existing Linux partitions methods, with or
without encryption or LVM enabled "

and

"Following on from the previous criterion, after firstboot is completed
and on subsequent boots, a system installed according to any of the
above criteria (or the appropriate Beta or Final criteria, when applying
this criterion to those releases) must boot to a working graphical
environment without unintended user intervention. This includes
correctly accessing any encrypted partitions when the correct passphrase
is supplied"

Thanks!