gnome-terminal can't display utf-8 characters anymore

Jonathan Kamens jik at kamens.us
Sun May 6 03:53:52 UTC 2012

Two additional things about this I've discovered...

1. Changing the encoding of the terminal to utf-8 in the Terminal | Set
Character Encoding menu doesn't help. It changes the garbage that is
displayed, but it's still garbage.

2. If I do "echo *.mp3" instead of "ls", then it's closer to correct:

Note that the correct Hebrew letters are displayed, but they're
backward. I seem to recall that's how things used to work, so the
backward part isn't a regression. The fact that the file names are
displayed properly by echo but not by ls would seem to suggest that the
regression / bug / whatever is in ls?

   jik