Moving away from reporting to RH bugzilla and adopting pure upstream reporting mantra.

Darryl L. Pierce mcpierce at gmail.com
Tue Sep 24 19:28:06 UTC 2013

On Tue, Sep 24, 2013 at 06:35:46PM +0000, "Jóhann B. Guðmundsson" wrote:

> >This is a plain self-fulfilling prophecy.  If you will manage to kill
> >report gathering means then indeed you will have no reports; from novice
> >users in particular.
> >
> >While bugzilla is far from perfect and it can be frustrating at times
> >a "solution" you are pushing does not even start to pass a laugh test.
>
> Really...
>
> Let's run a simple query against bugzilla for bugs in the status NEW
> ( as in not looked at ) and find out the oldest report from our
> reporters for the soon to be EOL released F18 which should have the
> longest time maintainers could have responded bugs filed by
> reporters.
>
> The oldest bug was filed by Stef Walter <mailto:stefw at redhat.com>on
> 2012-08-15 against binutils with total of 7205 bugs found. ( You can
> multiple that number by half an hour at least of reporters time )
>
> Now let's look at the gory details of EOL bugs closed wontfix running [2]
>
> 8031 bugs found.
<snip>

Out of how many total bugs? Simply reported 8k bugs without a comparison
tells us nothing.

Considering that Fedora is roughly 120 months old, that's about 66 bugs
per month closed. That out of how many packages? That's, roughly, less
than 1 bug per package ever that's been closed as wontfix. (meaningless,
but think about it)

--
Darryl L. Pierce <mcpierce at gmail.com>
http://mcpierce.fedorapeople.org/