gnome initial setup doesn't run

Chris Murphy lists at colorremedies.com
Thu Sep 26 18:51:57 UTC 2013

I've done a dozen successful installs of F20 alpha, and today I can't do a successful one to save my life.

1. Clean install of F20 Desktop dd'd to the same USB stick I've been using for a week, set root password but I do not create a new user.
2. Reboot.

Result: A Gnome shell desktop and blue patterned background, with accessibility icon drop down menu on the upper right side and that's it. No Gnome initial setup.

I'm not finding any gnome-session bugs on this, or mentions when searching test at . I was just going to leave it alone, but I blew away the previous install and started over - and plunk I'm right back at that same screen without gnome initial setup.

I get this entry in the journal, so gis was definitely called:

Sep 26 11:21:20 f20s.localdomain gdm[407]: GdmSessionWorker: start program: /usr/bin/dbus-launch --exit-with-session /usr/bin/gnome-session --autostart /usr/share/gdm/greeter/autostart  --session gnome-initial-setup

There are a bunch of dbus rejected send message entries, and then comes:

Sep 26 11:28:45 f20s.localdomain gnome-session[618]: gnome-session[618]: GnomeDesktop-WARNING: Failed to acquire idle monitor proxy: Timeout was reached
Sep 26 11:28:45 f20s.localdomain gnome-session[618]: GnomeDesktop-WARNING: Failed to acquire idle monitor proxy: Timeout was reached

And there's nothing revealing in the X.org.log.

And if I do a yum update from a shell and reboot, GIS still doesn't come up. So *shrug* maybe I should just stop testing today, and tomorrow everything will be right as rain again. But in case anyone's curious, I'm sorta stumped on how to collect enough information worthy of filing a bug report, here is the full journalctl -b output from a fresh successful install, but no GIS.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/3253801/journalctl_noGIS.txt

Chris Murphy