[Fedora-trans-de] What Fedora makes sucking for me - or why I am NOT Fedora

Robert Scheck robert at fedoraproject.org
So Dez 14 16:49:06 UTC 2008

Hello Peter,

On Wed, 10 Dec 2008, Peter Boy wrote:
> I'm using Fedora in German. The situation is not as bad as your mail
> suggests. F10 seems to be a little worse as F7. I find more mixed
> language menues, e.g. in the desktop context menue "Search for files",
> some ugly elements in xmms, and so on. But the very most parts of the
> distribution are very well translated (at last for desktop usage).

it's not only the software at all, it's also the Fedora specific and
related parts where we can act and improve.

> I suppose you are committed to a very hight level of aspiration. But in
> everyday life the well known 80:20 rule turns up (the last 20% to
> achieve a zero error product require 80% of the overall resources). So a
> more pragmatic decision making may be a reasonable choice.

Possible, yes. But typos, grammar issues and other spelling problems
according to the software translated by Fedora people should be avoided
if possible as it is decreasing the professionality and also the visible
and shown quality to the users out there. And as we're a leading project
in the software world, we should lead at translations, too.

> I must admit that I'm reading this list for a long time, but never found
> a way to contribute e.g. to the translation. It is too complicated to
> fulfill all the requirements, find a "sponsor" and so on. Maybe we
> should add some kind of "middleware" to make it easier to contribute so
> we can squeeze out the last 20% of failures.

That's why a pootle server could be very interesting for us to make the
contribution to Fedora Translations much easier. We're at most parts too
technically, not only at translation...

Greetings,
  Robert