consistency between .po and .pot files

Jeremy Katz katzj at redhat.com
Thu Feb 17 03:42:06 UTC 2005

On Thu, 2005-02-17 at 13:12 +1000, Sarah Wang wrote:
>a. Let each package maintainer perform "msgmerge" whenever pot file is
>updated

This is doable, I just think it causes pain for translators due to CVS
conflicts.

>b. I set up a cron job to "msgmerge" all locales and all packages
>(nightly or weekly)

This causes lots of noise for developers trying to actually watch CVS
commits.  And in cases where things haven't changed, it's kind of
counter-productive because gettext isn't all that smart about noticing
that things haven't really changed.

>c. Each locale coordinator to ensure all packages in that locale is
>consistent and up to date
>
>d. Each translator to perform "msgmerge" prior translation

c/d seem like the best from a perspective of minimizing changes and
conflicts.

>Personally I prefer option b, because I can ensure all updates will be
>performed. The downside of it is the possible file conflicts. However,
>if we agree upon a specific time to perform this update, and we all try
>to avoid this time to commit works, most conflicts can be avoided.

It's not a matter of avoiding the time to commit works, you have to
avoid _working_ on things then.  And if you have something underway
that's not committed, you have to do silly tricks with copying your
work, cvs updating and then re-msgmerge'ing.

My $0.02.

Jeremy