Still can't make yum.conf to install mplayer from livna

Andrew Konosky TerranAce007 at comcast.net
Tue Jul 13 15:02:29 UTC 2004

"However this moring few mails adviced me that the livna shuold work as
long as you use fedora extras to go with it together, but I still can
not yum install the mplayer as I used the sample yum.conf, and my
intention is not to use many unecessary repositories, so I want to try,
and I want to know what have I missed in that sample yum.conf I copied
from Fedora.org, because in my current level I can't see what's wrong
with it. My point is if other people certified that can yum install the
mplayer and I failed, that means I need to understand the use of
yum.conf further."

Well, as I said before, the alternate repositoires /ARE/ necessary if
the ones you are using now don't work. That's why I said you should use
them by removing the # in front of them. Anything with a # at the
beginning of the line /*is not*/ part of the config file. It is
considered a comment. In order to activate the alternate repositories,
delete the #'s. *Deactivate the testing and unstable servers by/
putting/ comments in front of them!
*
Now, since you are worried about extra unneccessary servers, you need to
make multiple config files. Set yum.conf, which is the default, to use
what servers you want to use regularly and comment out the rest. When
you use yum, it will only use these servers. But if something, like
mplayer, won't work with you default servers, you can try different
servers. Make a copy of the yum.conf, rename it to something like
yum-all.conf. You can make a yum-livina.conf to only use the livina
repository.

To use multiple config files, use the -c option. For example:

[root at localhost root]# yum install mplayer    -     uses default yum.conf
[root at localhost root]# yum -c /etc/yum-all.conf install mplayer
-     uses config file with all servers enabled
[root at localhost root]# yum -c /etc/yum-livina.conf    -    uses only
livina servers