Ati Drivers FC2 2.6.9

Thorsten Leemhuis fedora at leemhuis.info
Sat Nov 27 22:03:05 UTC 2004

Am Samstag, den 27.11.2004, 16:50 -0500 schrieb Gene Heskett:
> On Saturday 27 November 2004 14:35, Thorsten Leemhuis wrote:
> >Am Samstag, den 27.11.2004, 19:06 +0100 schrieb Marc Burgs:
> >> Did anybody get the ati drivers working?
> >> I followed the instruction from:
> >> http://www.fedoraforum.org/forum/showthread.php?t=2028&page=1
> >> made a symlink from xorg.conf to XF86Config-4
> >> but it does not work :
> >>
> >> glxinfo | grep direct
> >> direct rendering: No
> >> OpenGL renderer string: Mesa GLX Indirect
> >
> >Current version for the FC2 up2date Kernel is in testing at
> >rpm.livna.org
> >
> >Instructions:
> >http://www.fedorafaq.org/fc2/#radeon
>
> Ok, neat I thought. There's even instructions to install it to
> the new kernel before you reboot. This command for instance:
> yum install kernel-module-fglrx-`(rpm -q --queryformat="%{version}-%{release}\n" kernel | tail -n 1)`
>
> Unforch, it seems to be looking for what would be a very old
> kernel version, as in 2.6.5 according to this return from the above
> command line:
> Cannot find a package matching kernel-module-fglrx-2.6.5-1.358

I told the maintainer of the faq that this could fail... I'm planing to
add a bit deeper info on the livna.org website -- but did not get there
yet, sorry.

> The kernel currently running is 2.6.10-ec2-mm3-VO-31.9, one of Ingo's
> realtime patches.

BTW, is it getting stable? Seems Ingo touches a lot of different parts
of the kernel for this and puts out new patches as fast as a VIA Epia
with 600 MHz needs to compile a fedora kernel (okay, thats unfair, the
via epia is a bit faster -- but only a bit)...

> So, I just sent rpm off to -e that kernel as I haven't
> ran it more than a few hours total since upgrading to FC2.
>
> Mmm, then it switches to reporting 2.6.8-1.521, which
> cannot be removed according to a long list of dependencies,
> many of which are also ancent kernel packages.  Must be time
> to run an rpm --rebuilddb.
>
> Is there a way to force rpm to install this packages kernel modules
> in /lib/modules/`uname -r`?

No, and if it was possible it would not work.

You need to recompile the kernel-module for your kernel. Get the ati-
fglrx src.rpm from livna.org, install it and rebuild the kernel-module
with something like

rpmbuild --ba SPECS/ati-fglrx.spec --without driverp --target i686 \
 --with ksrc /location/of/your/kernel/build/tree

That *should* to the trick.