New Kernel still will not boot

Michael Miles mmamiga6 at gmail.com
Fri Apr 23 20:25:55 UTC 2010

On 04/23/2010 12:50 PM, George R Goffe wrote:
> Michael,
>
> Thanks for your response.

> George...
>
> "It's not what you know that hurts you, It's what you know that ain't
> so." Wil Rogers
>
> Message: 6
> Date: Thu, 22 Apr 2010 21:37:40 -0700
> From: Michael Miles <mmamiga6 at gmail.com>
> Subject: Re: New Kernel still will not boot
> To: users at lists.fedoraproject.org
>
> On 04/22/2010 08:09 PM, George R Goffe wrote:
> > Howdy,
> >
> > I'm running 2.6.32.11-99.fc12.i686.PAE on my laptop with this video
> > card: 01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation Quadro FX
> > 570M (rev a1)
> >
> > I am still experiencing a hang during boot; the original kernel works
> > great (2.6.32.9-67.fc12.i686* kernels)
> >
> > case 1:
> > o reboot on console
> > o hit enter at the grub prompt; default = kernel above
> > o freeze happens at what appears to be some kind of graphics event
> > near what could be nouveau initialization
> >
> > case 2:
> > o power reset
> > o type "e" at grub prompt; default = kernel above
> > o down arrow to "kernel" line, type "e"
> > o hit escape
> > o hit escape
> > o boot proceeds "normally" with the system and graphics card functional.
> >
> > Does anyone have any thoughts as to how to proceed?
> >
> > Regards,
> >
> > George...
> >
> > "It's not what you know that hurts you, It's what you know that ain't
> > so." Wil Rogers
> >

> > Make sure you have the proper nvidia kernel module for the kernel
> > you are using. You must match the nvidia proprietary driver
> > version to the nvidia kernel module for your kernel
>
> I had given up on the Nvidia folks some time ago. None of their mods
> seemed to work for me and their lack of support was deafening.
>
> The original kernel from the install works great
> (2.6.32.9-67.fc12.i686), I presume with the nouveau driver. My
> thoughts are that something was changed.
>
> Once boot has completed, the card AND driver appear to be functioning
> properly.
>

> > Add/remove software- search nvidia. Pick the proper nvidia kernel module
> > for 2.6.32.11-99
> >
> > See if that helps
> >
> > Michael

I find that with Nouveau the Video card does not perform properly.
It is still under development.
I found thawhen I get a Nvidia Driver update with new kernel I will do
the update through add/remove software and search nvidia
I then select which Nvidia Driver I want then it loads the kernel and
kernel mod for the driver automatically.
I do this everytime a new kernel comes out with the new driver.

Also you must blacklist nouveau in the grub.config

http://www.mjmwired.net/resources/mjm-fedora-nvidia.html#nvidia_rpmfusion

This guide is quite handy
Just remember once the driver, kernel mod and kernel are installed do
not reboot
Edit grub.config and blacklist nouveau
Then reboot.

A fully functioning video card is much more desirable.
NVclock for upping speed of the Nvidia as they can handle quite the
overclock

Have a great day