Good riddance to F13: Looking forward to F14?

Ranjan Maitra maitra at iastate.edu
Tue Nov 2 02:22:02 UTC 2010

This morning, I woke up to wake up my trusty IBM T61 Thinkpad laptop
from its short hibernation. The hibernation stalled with a translucent
screen: this has happened a few times before in F13's troubled
relationship with the laptop so after a while, I tried the trusted
Windoze way of hard rebooting the machine (hang on to the power off
button, not the command, for dear life). However, unlike other
instances, I came back to a black screen with a blinking cursor. This
happened a few times I repeated the exercise, so I switched off rhgb
and quiet and found that it got stuck after atd was switched on. I
tried the Ctrl-Alt-F2 option and logged in as root (all the while, the
screen was going back to the blinking cursor and had to brought back
so this was a major pain), and then looked at /var/log/messages. Turns
out that there was a message there which said something like sealert
detected a lxdm-binary leak and was preventing access to a huge name drive.
After googling on this, I could not get anywhere, not only that, I can
not find a way to do anything. Can anyone suggest anything here?

I have been from FC1 through F13, and Fedora is my only distribution,
but even I have to say that F13 was really the worst of the lot.
Kernel(!) bug reports on Fedora which I filed religiously -- along
with possible quack fixes to help guide to the source of the problem
-- went nowhere, in many cases nothing even looked at, beyond
assignment, which is so different from my usual Fedora experience. So,
I am hoping that we will bury F13 tomorrow and go back to having a
great experience with F14 (which I always had, till F13).

Not a rant, but the frustrations of a believer in a great and true OSS
product (that is Fedora) which has suddenly lost its sheen for whatever
reason I can not fathom.

Best wishes,
Ranjan