Separate /usr partition

Mike McCarty Mike.McCarty at sbcglobal.net
Tue Apr 12 09:50:13 UTC 2011

Gabriel Ramirez wrote:
> On 04/12/2011 03:05 AM, Mike McCarty wrote:
>> Rahul Sundaram wrote:
>>> Some of the reasons are outlined in
>>>
>>> http://freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/systemd/separate-usr-is-broken
>> Thanks very much for that link. It's very informative, and reasonably
>> well written, though with a few forgivable grammatical errors.
>>
>>> Of course, the typical response is argue that, this shouldn't be the
>>> case but that is at this point just wishful thinking.
>
> Hi,
>
> So the inconvenients of separate /usr will be apply to separate /var
> /var/log and /var/tmp ???

I suppose it depends upon what kinds of rules get written by the
distros and end users for udev. It seems unlikely that actual binaries
in /bin and /sbin would be made to depend upon anything in /var.

> and my reasons by that partitions are minimize file fragmentation and
> aallocate only the space necessary with lVM meanwhile separate the files
> by use case

There are numerous reasons for putting things not necessary for
boot into separate partitions, and especially on separate discs.
Only some of them are mentioned in the article cited, performance
being one of them.

[...]

> and I don't need 3G,
> I have good Audio after some fight and filing a bug
> d-bus, print and plug & play works fine
>
> these things works now in my F14 systems, so really new versions
> (incompatible with separate partitions) were developed for F15 ??

The article is written in somewhat an overdone tone. There is no
necessity, as I mentioned, that "major parts of /usr be moved into /"
as it states. They want to make a point, and not all of the argument
they present is actually realistic.

It certainly would take some serious thought and some real work
to fix things now, I believe. One could argue that the thought and
work should have been beforehand, but the attitude I thought I
detected was one of extreme reluctance even to consider revisiting
the decisions which have beem made, let alone to take any action
on them.

Furthermore, there is nothing to prevent the end user from "breaking"
things on his own later, given the way udev "works". It would not be
much work, however, to find executable binaries in /bin and /sbin which
depend upon anything in /usr/... and this work could, in fact, be
automated.

$ for x in /sbin/* ; do readelf -l $x 2>/dev/null | grep '/usr' ; done

or something similar might do it. I'm sure there are some here more
knowledgeable than am I about these matters.

Mike
You have found the bank of Larn.