Samba asking for authorization to browse suddenly

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Tue Aug 16 01:14:02 UTC 2011

On Mon, 2011-08-15 at 19:19 -0400, Claude Jones wrote:
> I think Samba's the culprit. Samba is set up in share mode on my mixed
> Win7 and Linux network. Up to some recent period, Windows boxes could
> see my Fedora shares and my Fedora box could get on the network and
> see the Windows shares - typically I use Dolphin and select Network
> \Samba Shares That brings up the "Workgroup" icon and clicking that
> would show the computers on the network.
>

> Now, I get a UN/PW authorization dialog as soon as I click on
> "Workgroup", and nothing I enter works but just returns the dialog. I
> don't remember when it was last working, but, it's been a while since
> I tried to browse my Windows boxes.
>

> I've checked the firewall settings to make sure they didn't get
> changed and tried turning off Selinux enforcing; the machine is Fedora
> 15 64-bit and is fully up to date. I tried installing Smb4k and when I
> scan the network using its interface, it just returns a blank
> screen...
>
> I've looked at the system and samba logs - the only interesting I see
> there, in the Samba log, is messages like this: "Scheduled cleanup of
> brl and lock database after unclean shutdownz" - this happenned
> several times today it claims - then there follows a message saying it
> is running the cleanup, and that's followed by strings of messages
> like this "Could not find child 15456 -- ignoring"... I haven't hard
> rebooted the machine or anything like that, so I'm not sure what
> "unclean shutdown" is referring to...
----
I think 'share' mode was suitable in the early 2000's but not today. The
concept was that you designated a user and that share would have the
user's password as the password - to mimic filesharing as offered by
Windows 95 & Windows 98.

Thus you can't really pass a user to share mode, only a password. The
user has to be configured in smb.conf and it is that users password that
you must use to login to a samba sharing via share mode.

The way to set up samba is 'security = user'. Then each user can login
(or not login depending of course on configuration).

I don't know that Windows 7 is capable of accessing 'share mode' but
this page should prove useful in any event...

http://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Windows7

Craig

believed to be clean.