Samba asking for authorization to browse suddenly

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Tue Aug 16 02:29:03 UTC 2011

On Mon, 2011-08-15 at 21:58 -0400, Claude Jones wrote:
> On Monday, August 15, 2011, Craig White wrote:
>
> > I don't know that Windows 7 is capable of accessing 'share
>
> > mode' but this page should prove useful in any event...
>

> > http://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Windows7
>

> Well, as I said in my original post, I have no problems accessing the
> shares on my Fedora box from Win7 machines on my network.
----
actually, you didn't say it with this clarity.
----
> I just can't get past a dialog box asking me for the workgroup
> password when I try to access my network from Fedora. This was all
> working just fine a few weeks ago. I didn't change anything about my
> configuration, so I have to assume some update changed something...
----
there's nothing to govern whether you can browse a workgroup in terms of
Windows security so the fact that it's actually asking you for a user
name &/or password just to browse the workgroup indicates a problem with
something other than windows or samba configuration.

You should be able to access from command line...

smbclient -L $NAME_OF_SERVER

even without a password or user on my domain controller...
(note, when it asked for a password, I just hit return so it was
anonymous)

# smbclient -L SRV2
Enter root's password:
Anonymous login successful
Domain=[AZAPPLE] OS=[Unix] Server=[Samba 3.4.7]

        Sharename       Type      Comment
        ---------       ----      -------
        netlogon        Disk      Network Logon Service
        print$          Disk
        Storage         Disk      Main File Storage
        Media           Disk      Media Storage
        CD              Disk      CD virtual drive
        Win 2K XP       Disk      Windows updates for 32 bit
        Linux           Disk      Linux Updates
        Macintosh Classic Disk      Macintosh Classic OS Updates
        Macintosh OSX   Disk      Macintosh OSX Updates
        Music           Disk      Music Files
        Software        Disk      Installer Images
        Documents       Disk      My Documents
        Movies          Disk      Main File Storage
        IPC$            IPC       IPC Service (Main File Server)
Anonymous login successful
Domain=[AZAPPLE] OS=[Unix] Server=[Samba 3.4.7]

        Server               Comment
        LIN-WORKSTATION      Samba Server Version 3.5.8-76.fc14
        SRV2                 Main File Server
        WIN-WORKSTATION

        Workgroup            Master
        AZAPPLE              SRV2

I think that your smb4k must have an issue

Craig

believed to be clean.