Samba asking for authorization to browse suddenly

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Tue Aug 16 03:44:17 UTC 2011

On Mon, 2011-08-15 at 22:44 -0400, Claude Jones wrote:
> On Monday, August 15, 2011, Craig White wrote:
>
> > I think that your smb4k must have an issue
>

> I just threw smb4k on there after I encountered the problem with
> listing the workgroup from Dolphin. I've been able to use it in years
> past to get past various issues. There probably is a problem with
> smb4k's configuration, but there's also something else... The problem
> I'm having was there before installing smb4k
>

> Here's some readout from your suggested command:
>

> # smbclient -L win7jj
>
> Enter root's password:
>
> Domain=[WIN7JJ] OS=[Windows 7 Ultimate 7601 Service Pack 1]
> Server=[Windows 7 Ultimate 6.1]
>

> Sharename Type Comment
>
> --------- ---- -------
>
> ADMIN$ Disk Remote Admin
>
> C$ Disk Default share
>
> D Disk
>
> D$ Disk Default share
>
> F$ Disk Default share
>
> G Disk
>
> G$ Disk Default share
>
> HP Photosmart C5200 series Printer HP Photosmart C5200 series
>
> IPC$ IPC Remote IPC
>
> P$ Disk Default share
>
> print$ Disk Printer Drivers
>
> temp Disk
>
> Users Disk
>
> Domain=[WIN7JJ] OS=[Windows 7 Ultimate 7601 Service Pack 1]
> Server=[Windows 7 Ultimate 6.1]
----
Windows computer WIN7JJ doesn't belong to a workgroup called 'Workgroup'

I'm not sure why it didn't say 'anonymous' when you connected to it. Did
you type a password? You should be able to get a list of shares without
a login/password.

What about the Samba computer? Where does workgroup 'Workgroup' come
from? Shouldn't all the systems have the same workgroup name?

Craig

believed to be clean.